Thursday, December 23, 2010

MUSIC VIDEOS. DUCK SAUCE!

After reading my teachers post about music videos, I chose my own music video to review using the critical analysis process. I chose the song Barbara Streisand by Duck Sauce, the video is embedded below. Duck sauce is a group consisting of 2 dj's, Arman Van Helden and A-Trak, 2 great dj's collaborating together to make great music. The music video is very fast paced and has a wide variety of people and locations, such as new york. It's really good enjoy!

Initial Reaction: I actually really enjoyed watching this video, the different camera shots are really nice too, there are so many famous people in the video also, people such as Kanye West and Pharrell.


Analysis and Interpretation: I think that the director created this video to show the diversity of the music world and all the different kinds of sounds and people in it. The themes promoted in this video include, having fun, partying, diversity, culture, variety in the music world and just all around togetherness. I don't think the video aligned with gospel values exactly, but it definitely doesn't go against them, it's just a bunch of people of all different ages, colors, and sexes, having a good time together.

Consideration of cultural context: In an interview Duck Sauce said that the reason that they make music together is to show the multiculturalism in music now a days, A-Trak and Arman are from different parts of the world and they met while doing shows across the world. I think what inspired them take make this video was diversity. They show so many different things in one song, and it helps show that music isn't just one thing, it's multiple themes.

Expression of aesthetic judgement: There's just so much to take in while watching this video. The director uses many different shots, in different locations, so it's interesting how he got it all to work as one music video.  Although there are a variety of shots, it all fits together because they're all singing the same song and repeating the name "Barbara Streisand", it displays great harmony. That's probably the reason I like the song so much, not just because the lyrics and beat are good, but it's the visuals that are most appealing to me. I also think it's kind of cool seeing all these famous musicians and actors gathering together for one song.

Ongoing Reflection: I watched this video a few more times while writing this post to help refresh my mind and I still enjoy it. The song is catchy, the beat is cool, it's just an all around nice song with a great video. I would definitely recommend that if you haven't already heard this song, you should check it out. If you have heard it and didn't really like it, try listening to it again and really pay attention to what's going on during the video, you might like it.










3 comments:

  1. Nice choice! I love this song as well! I love the fact that the producers do not fail to incorporate different styles of music and making into one. This fact also connects with the video, as it does not discriminate anyone of different culture, gender, sexuality, etc. This song is certainly very lively and puts a positive label on New York City.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard this song before and I really like the song too! It's creative and different from the common music videos out there today. It has different style and has a unique touch to it.I also agree that the camera shots are really nice as well. This song was a really good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The guys from Chromeo are in this!

    ReplyDelete